Collapse All | Expand All

Martin Harris Farm
(2095 Maple Ave., Palmyra, NY 14522)

In 1813, at the age of 30, Martin Harris acquired 320 acres of his father's farm just north of Palmyra, where he prospered and was active in community affairs. When Joseph Smith, Jr. translated the record that became the Book of Mormon, Harris was one of his first scribes and helped pay expenses. He also mortgaged part of his farm to pay for the book's publication, and he was one of the witnesses who bore testimony of the divinity of the book.

An 1850 Erie Canal lake-stone home is now located on the site of the original Martin Harris home.