In the early 1800's Palmyra, New York was bursting with the promise of growth and
prosperity. In 1828 it added a new three story building to its bustling business
district. That structure was known as Thayer and Grandin's Row. It was not the excellence
of its construction or its striking facade that would give it a place in history
but rather, it was the fact that two young men, Joseph Smith Jr., the founder of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Egbert B. Grandin, an aspiring
young publisher, signed a contract to publish a book, entitled the Book of Mormon.
The year of their agreement was 1829. Through the ensuing years many alterations
were made to the building. Now, that part of the building owned by The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been restored to the way it was in the late
On March 26, 1998, the anniversary of the first printing of the Book of Mormon in
1830, the restored part of the building was dedicated. Visitors are invited to come
to this Historic Site, see the building, the printing presses and observe the printing
sequence in the room where the printing of the Book of Mormon actually took place.
The visitor will also be able to walk through the bindery and into the store where
the Book of Mormon was first sold. Of course, there is much more.