Restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood Site Oakland, PA (formerly Harmony, PA)
Joseph Smith, Jr. and his wife, Emma, moved to Harmony Township, PA late in 1827.
They settled in a cabin near a bend on the Susquehanna River where Joseph began
the translation of the Book of Mormon.
While translating, Joseph and Oliver Cowdery desired to know more about the ordinance
of baptism. They retired to a spot by the river to pray and, in answer to this prayer,
John the Baptist appeared and conferred the Aaronic Priesthood on Joseph and Oliver.
He then instructed them to baptize one another in the river and ordain each other
to the Priesthood.
Later, Peter, James and John appeared on the banks of the river and conferred on
Joseph and Oliver the Melchizedek Priesthood.
Driving Directions From Palmyra, NY to Oakland, PA.
From Hill Cumorah Visitors Center drive South on Rt.21 to US90 East. (5 .mi.)
East on 90 to 690 (60 mi.) Take 690 South to US81 South. (10 mi.) Take US
81 through Binghamton into Penn. (90 mi) 3 miles into Penn. turn East on Highway
171. Drive east on 171 about 7 miles to the Aaronic Priesthood Monument.